Problems of access to quality education and bridging the gap in learning outcomes of students from different schools were the main topics of the Ninth International Scientific-practical conference “Trends in Education” held in February in Moscow.
The following year, the conference participants will discuss the quality of today’s teachers, which, according to experts, is poor.
On the problems of training teachers of Russian in an interview with RIA Novosti said the dean of the faculty “Management in Education” Moscow School of Social and Economic Sciences Elena Lena.
- Elena, a Russian education is really not enough qualified teachers?
- This is a big problem for the Russian pedagogy. It is not just about teachers, but also the directors of schools and kindergartens. They all need to prepare and it seems that doing it differently than before.
- Tell us about the International study TALIS (Teaching and Learning International Survey), the results of which have recently become known?
- This international investigation of the school teaching and learning. It was conducted in 24 countries. Unfortunately, Russia has participated in it informally, partly explains why in our country, its results are not widely published. But we have followed throughout the procedure, the results were evaluated by the same experts, so that its results can be relied upon. Learn more about dissertation writing!
- And what are its results?
- It was found that teachers at all the issues that were important in understanding how they develop and what conditions they are given, answered positively. In international rankings, we would have had very good results, if not for one detail. Teachers were told that they have a lot of training opportunities, great director, who correctly and fairly evaluate them. Moreover, many teachers gave positive answers to such questions, even at that, in principle, there could be a positive response. For example, when asked, “fired a teacher at your school because they do not teach,” the teacher replied that fired. Although we know that it is almost never a reason for dismissal. Everywhere, where the teacher could have guessed that he wanted to hear from, he answered “correctly”.
But when the teachers asked their students, it appeared that they were much worse than that in the solid drug class, the teacher answers back that the children and so on. In general, everything would be fine in school, if there were no children.
- Why are teachers so are his disciples?
- On the one hand, it is a problem of selection of people in the teaching profession. In many countries it is given serious attention. For example, to become a teacher in Finland have to go through several stages of selection with a rigid selection. If I remember correctly, five thousand applicants, only 10% falls into the teaching profession.
- And who among us is in the pedagogy?
- If you look at the scores, which take into pedagogical universities, this is the worst of high school graduates. Another problem – the program in pedagogical institute, we do not change over the years. Programme of training institutes for directors and employees of educational administration have changed a bit, but for teachers as they were mossy and stayed. Worse, the pedagogical institute and especially the training institutions and do not in any way before anyone else responsible for your results. The teacher came and listened to something no one asks, as a result. Maybe he wasted two months on staff?
- But the problem is probably not only to those who qualify for raises, but also in those who lead courses?
- With this, too, something must be done. Many of those who teach, especially in the institutions of training, people who have not been in class and they were little, what can be learned. Throughout the world, teachers are taught to teachers. I go to a good teacher and just see what I can learn from him. It is much more convincing than someone will be me of his experiences on his fingers to tell. And we have every now and lectures.
- Then we must change not only the program, but also views on the training of teachers?
- Of course. We practice teaching at the university are engaged by up to three months. In England, a student who is preparing to become a teacher, a half-time of their training spends in school. That is, the school – principal place of its preparation, it is there mentors who watch over him, and he learns into practice. He certainly has not worked as a teacher, he was only an assistant teacher. In many Western countries, the teacher in the classroom there are helpers. By the way, is not bad and we would have to have helpers – teachers responsible for what happens in the classroom immediately increase.
Another important point that seems fundamental to the school came to a good teacher – in many countries, the teachers, like doctors, there is a one-year internship. And the teacher receives a certificate of qualification only after he proves in practice that he can teach. Thus, the talented young teacher, having worked with children more likely to remain working at the school, and it will help others understand this is their profession or not.
- So why did not have enough teachers? A new look, modern equipment, or need other children?
- It should be noted that teachers are still different. 15 years ago, when the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) conducted a study in Russia, the state education system, her experts said that the Russian system of education rests on the enthusiasm of teachers, but to exploit it to infinity is not worth it. I am afraid that those teachers, which is said, still in school, but they have grown older, and their enthusiasm has decreased slightly.
We now have a big problem – the average age of teachers for more than 50 years and almost no shots are updated. The older the teacher, so, as a rule, above his salary, then it is added to a modest pension and the teacher finally starting to get a decent compensation for their work. Not surprisingly, he does not leave the school, but because the forces are not the same. And the young people in school does not want. Even when young people come to school, they have little support and often do not know how to plan a lesson on how to establish discipline and teach them to nobody.
In my opinion, the teacher, especially the young more often than not lack the teaching methods and ability to hold his emotions Teachers do not see how they humiliate the child, as they tear at her students a bad mood. Emotional intelligence can and should be taught – in fact people who have mastered it, behave differently.
Another teacher, like many in this country, lack of critical thinking. Very often the teacher truly believe that there is one correct answer to the question, and he knows it. In fact, almost always have multiple versions of the correct answer and the problem of the teacher to hear as many of these responses, so that children can be creative, to explain its logic, and so on.
- What do teachers who participated in the study TALIS, considered a major criterion in assessing the quality of their work?
- This question is not asked them, but perhaps we can assume that most of them rely on the opinions of colleagues and superiors. There were some detailed answers, which showed that teachers did not consider to be fair when the assessment of their work is directly associated with the result of examinations. And the teachers that gave such comments are right – the result of the examination is not always the merit of a teacher. In addition, the teachers working in difficult conditions, in classrooms where the children come ill-prepared, we can not expect the same results, which give the elite school. It should, perhaps, to assess the progress that has made every child in the classroom for a year of study. This experience has been in many countries, but we have to do is not enough tools. Our standards describe only the final results of the primary, upper secondary school, and to measure progress should be more than a fractional division. Incidentally, one of the keynote speakers of this conference, the British scientist Chris Hazbends, suggested that, at first glance seem paradoxical – the worse the conditions, and a contingent of school, the more important to attract the best teachers there. How can we do in our present circumstances – that’s what it is worth considering.