Essays (frants.essai, Eng. Essay or assay – experience, an essay, lat. Exgium – weighing) – a genre of criticism and journalism, free interpretation of a literary, philosophical, aesthetic, moral or social problem (Encyclopædia Britannica).
Usually an essay opposed to systematic scientific consideration.
All criteria for evaluating essays are grouped around the main complex cognitive skills:
- Used to understand the theories and ideas (statements) by various authors to transfer to the author and to formulate its meaning;
- Their own and make sense of original material (original expresses ideas);
- To think critically about the problem;
- Consistently argue the statements;
- Structured to present the content
- Analyze cause-effect relationships and draw conclusions;
- To apply the ideas in practice (in this area is assessed the validity and originality of the application of theoretical ideas to the analysis of practical experiences, facts and issues). Learn more about custom essay!
Samples of evaluation criteria essays
- You commit a clear coherent thesis that you want to prove in the essay.
- Clearly and concisely formulate the ideas in the beginning of his essay in the body develop their reasoning and conclusion clearly and directly formulate conclusions, which relate to the stated in the beginning of the essay abstracts.
- Your essay is structured clearly and logically built.
- A way to discuss your choice theory demonstrates that you are using the theory to the extent required in the essay.
- In your essay, a balance between theoretical and practical parts of (the interpretation, application of theory to the problem discussed in the essay). It is normal if one-third will be devoted to the theory and two-thirds – of its application.
- The practical part should demonstrate that you possess the necessary skills of reading and analysis, ie know how to work with text.
- The practical part shows that you can use the text to check the relevant theories.
- The practical part is to show that you used from the viewpoint of the theory can install the investigation, draw conclusions, identify forward-looking way.
- In his essay, you use the primary and secondary literature on the course.
- Do you know how to effectively use resources to confirm their idea.
- You are able to make accurate references.