SAN FRANCISCO–Google touted Android’s spread across the world today, saying growth of the mobile operating system and applications is accelerating.
It’s all bragging at the Google I/O conference, of course, but the numbers from Hugo Barra, director of Android product management, are real:
• There have been 100 million Android device activations.
• A total of 310 Android devices have gone on sale.
• There are 36 phone makers, 215 carriers, and 450,000 Android developers.
• The phones are available in 112 countries.
• It took two years to reach the first billion application installs. The next billion took 5 months, and the billion after that took 60 days. There have been 4.5 billion app installs so far.